Heart beat starts and skips. Beats 20 times then skips. Cause and treatment?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Heart beat starts and skips. Beats 20 times then skips, hesitates sometimes 5-6 times in a count of 20.
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 22 minutes later
An irregular heart beat such as this is not normal and may need treatment. There are a number of different types of irregular heart beat so it would be impossible to comment any further at this stage.
I suggest you see a cardiologist who will probably do an EKG in the first instance. This will guide further management. You may need to start medication.
I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,