Heart beat in my back, muscle twitches, hormonal changes. EKG, BP, pulse normal. Causes for quick pulse?

I wake up in the night with a feeling in my back like my heart is beating hard and fast. I then have a funny feeling in my legs. I take my blood pressure and pulse rate and it is perfectly normal every time. It is a scary feeling. I told my doctor about this. She seemed to think it was muscle twitches. I am going through hormone changes. Why does it feel like my heart is beating fast and hard in my back? I am 58 yes old, 220 pds, and had an EKG last XXXXXXX that was normal.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

A normal adult's pulse can be anywhere from 60 to 100 beats per minute. Anything over 100 is technically defined as a tachycardia.

Considering your age, the feeling of heart beating fast can be due to hormonal changes. You should consult a gynecologist and start with hormonal replacement therapy. Other than that, a few possibilities need to be ruled out.

These include:

1)     Anxiety and stress
2)     Anemia
3)     Hyperthyroidism
4)     Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia
5)     Heart disorders

I suggest you to get it examined from a physician and get your Hb levels, thyroid function tests and an EKG and stress ECHO ruled out. Although your last EKG was normal, but menopausal women are at an increased risk of any cardiac disease. So it is best to get your cardiac status checked.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.