Hearing loss in one ear. Vertigo and constant ringing in ear. No wax problem. Need suggestion

ENT Specialist
Question
7 weeks ago I lost the hearing in one ear suddenly. I have a constant ringing in that ear. I had vertigo which slowly subsided over a 3 week period. I have no wax problem. I did eustachian tube exercises and believe that they are open. (I can hear pressure and a kind of pop inside my head). I had a hearing test and could not hear one sound coming into that ear. The MRI ruled out a tumor and blockage of the nerve going to the brain. I am using fluticasone propionate nasal spray. Today, for the first time I could hear a voice faintly when I covered my good ear. My question: Do I just wait and will this get better with time? I can't get into an ENT for 4 more weeks.
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sudden Sensorineural Deafness

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
I have gone through your query, it suggests that you may be suffering from sudden sensorineural hearing loss.
With this hearing loss you also have vertigo and ringing in the ear, there fore either you may have Meniere's disease or viral labyrinthitis.
Don't wait, for clear cut diagnosis and to rule out other disease you may go for
Pure Tone Audiometry
Impedance Audiometry
Vestibular test
VDRL
Blood Sugar and
Special Audiometric Test

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Hearing loss in one ear. Vertigo and constant ringing in ear. No wax problem. Need suggestion 13 hours later
Thank you. Also, I might add that over the past 7weeks my ear and even half of my face felt numb. I am now able to move my mouth and face freely and do not feel that numbness in my face. Rubbing my fingers together outside of my ear produces no sound at all yet I can hear a vibration type of sound when my hair dryer wind goes into my ear. One thought I had was that maybe there was a blood clot or some kind of stroke that effected the ear. But I'm no doctor. I will bring your information to my ENT doctor next month. I wish I could get in to see him sooner. Thank you again. XXXX

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get your MRI done

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,
You are most welcome, I have also gone through your next query, it also suggestive of sudden sensorineural hearing loss and some symptoms improved and if your MRI is normal then thinking about blood clot or stroke is useless.
Best to consult ENT specialist and go for above mentioned test.

If You have any doubt, I will be available for your query.

Get Well Soon.