Heard popping sound while turning head and lost hearing. Feeling vertigo and have fever. Will it be cured?

Nov 2013

I was sitting on a chair I turned my head and heard a pop and Lost my hearing in left Ear and felt servere vertigo and throw ups. The Day after i had fever. And the doc gave me steroids for 10 days.The Mr scan was normal.

It is 6 weeks now and I am still totally deaf on my left Ear. Vertigo is gone but the tinnitus is there.

Will I get my hearing back?
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely cause of sudden onset left-sided hearing hearing loss in your case is idiopathic type (where no cause is identified on the MRI). This is believed to be due to viral infections or lack of blood flow to the hearing nerve.

It is unfortunate that your hearing has not recovered even after six weeks.

You have received the correct treatment (short course steroids).

Spontaneous recovery to normal hearing occurs in about 50-60% of affected people.

Those who are young, as in your case, (15-60 years of age) tend to recover more than others.

Those who receive steroid treatment early tend to recover more (again a favourable point for you).

However, those with severe vertigo at onset tend to recover less (the negative point for you).

I hope that your hearing recovers.

Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India