Heard popping sound in head while lifting weight, having headaches. Anything to be serious?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi my name is XXXXXXX I'm 41 years old.
Yesterday I was lifting weights, suddenly I heard popping sound in my head (left side), and right arter that I felt pain in my left side head, so I stopped my work out. Other than headache, everything seems normal to my condition.
What happened to my head? Is that dangerous?
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I understand that you were lifting weights and you heard a popping sound after you started having a headache.
Firstly I would like to assure you that at present, it doesn't appear serious. When lifting heavy weight, there occurs a big stress on the vertebral column and probably you have caused some damage to the tissue around the cervical vertebra. At present what you need is a good rest and some painkillers like paracetamol. If the pains persists for more than 48 hours, then you should get an MRI of your cervical spine done.
None of the serious conditions in head will start with a pop while lifting heavy weight.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Heard popping sound in head while lifting weight, having headaches. Anything to be serious? 10 minutes later
So, what is the worst possibility that can happen?
I still have little pain in my left side (head) and neck(left).
My pain is not severe just mild but so annoying.
Is that any connection to my high blood pressure?

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 8 minutes later
Thanks for the follow-up query.
Firstly I would like to assure you that it is not related to your blood pressure, cause the raised blood pressure will never cause this popping up sound.
It doesn't appear to be bad, as if it was that bad, you wouldn't have been able to move your neck and the pain would have been severe.
The worst possibility is that you could have damages some of your ligaments or the soft tissue around the cervical vertebra, but then that can be taken care of.
As I said in my previous mail, you should try to take rest and if the pain persists beyond 48 hours then you should go ahead with an MRI scan of the vertebral column.
That will give you the best idea about what actually you have injured.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Heard popping sound in head while lifting weight, having headaches. Anything to be serious? 9 minutes later
Thank you Doc!

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 minutes later
Its my pleasure to be of help to you!