Headache,weird taste of mouth, nosebleed, soreness in nasal cavity

I have been getting a lot of headaches and a funny taste in the back of my mouth. like it is dripping from my nose. I had a nosebleed for 15 min and it was a non-stop outflow. I know I should not do this, but my nose was feeling really clogged after about 10 min of the nosebleed so I blew nose, a 1 inch red sac came out. following this the nosebleed stopped. the bad taste is gone, however my headache remains and my nose, in the nasal cavity feels sore.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

I can understand your concern but your symptoms are suggestive of nasal polyps and sinusitis. Nasal polyps are soft, painless, noncancerous growths on the lining of your nasal passages or sinuses.

These can present with runny nose, persistent stuffiness, headache and a feeling of pressure over forehead and face. Sometimes it can be present with bleeding from the nose if small polyps break.

You need to consult your doctor and get a CT (Computerized Tomography) scan of the nose and sinuses done.

Your doctor is likely to prescribe a corticosteroid nasal spray to reduce inflammation. This treatment may shrink the polyps or eliminate them completely. Oral steroids can also be given but if the symptoms persist then surgery may be needed.

Till that time, inhale plenty of steam or use a humidifier. The golden rule for chronic sinus congestion is steam inhalation. Inhaling steam from a bowl of hot (but not boiling water) may help to soften, and loosen, the buildup of mucus in your nose. This will lessen the headache and stuffiness. So do it 2-3 times a day.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.