Ask a Dentist   »  

Headaches from jaw to cranium, habit of teeth grinding. Is it symptom of bruxism?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. I am 26 years old Female. I have the habit of biting/grinding teeth always. Offlate I am getting head aches that aches from the jaws to the cranium. I googled and got some information that it could be Bruxism. Kindly let me know if this is a serious problem? Is it curable? Should I contact a Dentist or some other specialist?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later

Bruxism is a symptom complex consisting of teeth grinding and tight clenching of the jaws. It can occur in the day-time or at night. If it occurs while sleeping at night it could be part of a sleep disorder.

There are many causes which trigger Bruxism. High stress during the day, long work hours, anxiety, stomach problems, sleep disorders, smoking, alcohol, excessive caffeine consumption etc. It is known to cause headache, jaw pain, further sleeping problems, jaw arthritis as well.

Firstly do try these remedies. If you have long work hours, try to get them cut short. Eat meals on time. Have a balanced diet XXXXXXX is Vitamin B complex and Calcium as they help prevent Bruxism. You can take Multivitamin mineral supplements as well. Avoid junk food, colas. Keep well hydrated. Do daily brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes a day as this will release relaxing chemicals in your body called endorphins which will help reduce stress and sleeping problems. Do Yoga for stress relief.

If you have sleep disturbance or nightmares, it would be best to consult with a leading Psychiatrist. This will give an insight into your problems and a good remedy sought out.

The main approach to treatment will be to find the cause of Bruxism in your case. Once that is taken care of, Bruxism may stop. You can use Dental guards while sleeping which are made of plastic and prevent teeth damage. Other treatment methods like Botox and Contingent electrical stimulation exist but will not be helpful unless the cause is treated first.

You can consult a Dentist to look at the condition of your teeth and if any manipulation is necessary and also to get Dental guards. Consult with a Psychiatrist to get to the root problem of the cause of Bruxism in your case.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.