Headaches during orgasms, heavy periods. Taking ibuprofren, tylenol. Negative CT scan. Due to anemia?

odd headachesI am anemic due to heavy menstrual flow. I experience headaches almost every day, and always with orgasm. That is fairly new, in the last few months. Today, while bending over to dry off i experienced a horrible headache on top of my head and temples. the orgasm headaches are relieved by taking ibuprofen or tylenol . Could these headaches be due to the anemia? I have had a negative ct scan about a month ago.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 12 hours later

Regarding the anemia and recurrent headaches, these are two independent problems. Correction of menstrual disorder corrects blood loss and anemia.

Daily headaches are due to migraine disorder which has probably not been treated adequately in you. In addition to this, now you are suffering from Sex headaches.

Sex headaches can affect anyone, but are more common in men and those suffering from chronic migraine. Headaches are brought on by sexual activity — especially an orgasm. You may notice a dull ache in your head and neck that builds up as sexual excitement increases. Or, more commonly, you may experience a sudden, severe headache just before or during orgasm.

Most sex headaches are nothing to worry about. Beta blockers which are used to treat migraine, may be taken daily to prevent both sex as well as migraine headaches. Indomethacin, an anti-inflammatory, or triptans, a class of anti-migraine medication, can be taken an hour or so before sex to ward off headaches.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of the above medicines.

I thank you again for the query. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. I you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist