Headaches, cold, nasal congestion, forehead pain, on paracetamol, ibuprofen. Treatment ?

I have had a headache at the back of my head/top of my neck on and off for 5 days. It occured when I had a cold and was blowing my nose a lot I started feeling the pain at the back of my head. It has hurt on and off since then. It also hurts around my forehead and occasionally to the side around the temple. Sometimes when I bend down I feel the throbbing pain at the back of my head and behind my sinuses too.

The past 2 days it has felt more accute and today the pain at the back of my head especially has lasted for most of the day. Can you recommend any treatment? Taking paracetomal today didn't seem to get rid of the headache and I took 1 ibuprofen and it somewhat lessened the symptoms but not by much.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The headache that you have described seems to be due to the sinus infection and congestion. Treating the root cause will help in subsiding the headache. For symptomatic relief, you can combine a strong cup of coffee along with acetaminophen to get a good dose of caffeine.
For the treatment of acute sinusitis, antibiotics are a must as it involves infection of nasal air sinuses. You cannot get any antibiotic for systemic use without a prescription.
So it is best to schedule an appointment with an ENT specialist who after proper examination and swab culture test will choose the best antibiotic for you. Till the time you get an appointment, you can follow some general measures which will help you upto some extent like-
1. Do steam inhalation at least twice daily- Take hot water in a vessel, put eucalyptus oil in it. Inhale it by covering yourself with a blanket. See to it that fans/AC are not on during this and after some time also i.e. around 10-15 minutes.
2.For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
3.Take OTC available anti allergic agents like cetrizine or fexofenadine to rule out allergic cause.
4. Avoid all irritants.
5.Application of warm cloth, hot water bottle or gel pack to face for 5-10 minutes relieves pain and inflammation to some extent.
6.Use nasal decongestant or steroid drops or sprays for decongestion which encourages drainage.
7.Use a humidifier in your room.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.