Headaches and pain in the jaw. Bitten by the pet. Rabies vaccination taken. Symptoms due to side effects or Rabies?

General Surgeon
Question
I am Nanda from Chennai, India, I ve taken 5 doses of Rabipur shots during July 2010, since i ve bitten by my pet dog last year. Also I had taken a two shots of Rabipur booster last XXXXXXX 3rd 2011 & XXXXXXX 10th 2011. Also My Dog is vacinatted with Rabies Vaccine(Pfizer Defensor) twice in this year cycle In this case. My Dog was doing well & Healthy at present. I dont find any rabbies symptoms in my pet, since we wont allow our pet alone in the roads. She was maintained only inside our home.

On 9th October 2011, my pet had bitten me in my finger and it was a minor scratch while she was playing with me, which had leaded a mild blood clot. I took Tetanus shot on (11-Oct-2011)due to my pet scratched my finger. Doctor adviced and gave the Tetanus Toxide Injection & Again Intiated a Rabibur 3 Doses. After T T, I feel some of the side effects, Severe headache & Pain in the Arm (Injection Site) & Some pain in the Jaw. Now at present mild headache still persists....

1. Please advice, does this side effects are normal or is this a Symtoms of Rabies ?
2. Please advice me ,does the immunisation of Rabipur will last till now.
3. Also tell me how long the immunisation last long generally in my case
4. How many Rabipur Doses are considered as Booster dosage ? Thanks in advance
5. Do I need to still continue the Rabipur Dosages.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later
Hello
Thanks for nice query.     
Post injection T.T,mild pain at injection site is seen in some peoples which disappear with in two or three days .
Severe headache and jaw pain is not seen after injection T.T. or Rabipur .

It can be due to some other cause.
These sign & symptoms are not suggestive of Rabies .

Generally immunity post vaccination lasts for three years and there is no need of re vaccination with in that periods

As you have already got two booster dose ,there don`t appear to be any need of booster dose.

In my opinion there is no need of re- vaccination or booster dose in you case

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Headaches and pain in the jaw. Bitten by the pet. Rabies vaccination taken. Symptoms due to side effects or Rabies? 21 minutes later
Can you tell me How to check my Rabies Antibody titre level ? & what are the test should be taken for the same. Also please let me know, if i can take this in Chennai (India).

During my Booster vaccination this year, Doctor administered 1 st dose as Rabipur and the Second dose as Vaxirab brand. Will the brand make any diffenciation & make low in immunities. ? Please confirm.

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 7 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

For checking the antibody titre level you can contact some good labs like Raligare or Lal path labs .Only a blood sample is needed,nothing else.

In my opinion there must be some collection centres or branch for these labs in Chennai .

Brand name don`t make any difference ,as both are anti rabies vaccines manufactured by different reputed companies .

So immunity level don`t suffer.

Follow-up: Headaches and pain in the jaw. Bitten by the pet. Rabies vaccination taken. Symptoms due to side effects or Rabies? 26 hours later
I am a Non-Vegetarian, I use to take chicken 3 times atleast a Week. Will that make any differences in Immunity ?

Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 8 hours later
Hello.

Nice to see you again.

It hardly matters whether one is vegetarian or non vegetarian for anti rabies vaccination.

Immunity is slightly more who take high quality proteins. Certain non vegetarian food have high quality proteins.

Enjoying chicken and dog bite are quite different things.

Eating chicken is not going to decrease your immunity.

Hope I have answered your query,

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”.

Regards.