Headache when missing or delaying food, more sweating, vomiting. Please help

Dear Sir, I often experience head ache. it comes on few particular situation i noticed, 1.Missing/delay in intake of meal/food. 2. more sweating 3.more noise at minimum it takes 4-8 hrs to clear and most of the times it ends with complete vomiting. after vomiting, if i go for a sleep, it almost reduces. some time or most of the time it ends after taking pain killer. Please help me in overcoming this problem. Thanks and regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 53 minutes later

Thanks for you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

From the clinical details provided to me it looks like you are suffering from vascular headache, probably migraine. Typical migraine headache is unilateral, pulsatile, and is aggravated by physical activity. The pain is moderate to severe and can be aggravated by exposure to light or noise. The migraine sufferer has inherited a sensitive nervous system that under certain circumstances can lead to migraine.

Common dietary triggers for are skipping meals, fasting and use of certain foods like cheese, chocolates, and so on. However it is not specific and can vary from individual to individual. By keeping a headache diary, you will be able to identify some triggers for your particular headaches. Once you have identified triggers, it will be easier for you to avoid them and reduce your chances of having a migraine attack.

In view of disabling migraine in you I personally feel you need to be on prophylactic medications to prevent migraine becoming more severe and chronic in the future. Commonly used medications for prophylaxis are Beta blockers, Flunarizine and Topiramate.

In addition for you need medications like pain killers (Disprin, Paracetamol) and triptans (Zolmitriptan, Sumatriptan) to abort your acute and severe attacks. You need to see your Neurologist for a good clinical examination and consultation to exclude other causes of headache and for initiation of these medications.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist
Follow-up: Headache when missing or delaying food, more sweating, vomiting. Please help 13 minutes later

Thanks for your swift reply. Do you mean i need to take few course of tablet to cure from from migrane or it reduces in the intencity and occurance. Once i have been undergone with accupuncture technique, after that for fewer days it reduced to greater extent but slowly it attacks mainly while food time mismatch or during pasting. most of the time i'm avoing going out to intensive light and sound but some time can not avoid.

is there any home remedy, i can do to avoid or reduce the frequency?

Thanks and regards,
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up query

You need to prevent migraine headache's become more severe in the future. To achieve this you need to be on medicines for 3-6 months. As you know prevention is better than cure, you can prevent headache's by avoiding the trigger factors. If certain foods seem to have triggered your migraines in the past, avoid those foods. If certain scents are a problem, try to avoid them.

In general, establish a daily routine with regular sleep patterns and regular meals. Regular aerobic exercise reduces tension and can help prevent migraines.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist