Headache & neck pain, sensitivity to light, digestion problem, giddiness. Had epileptic attack long back. What exactly is the problem?

Neurologist
Question
Hi Doctor,
I am having pressure on my head almost every day. Also whenever there is more head ache there will be neck pain on left side. Usually head ache starts from around left ear and propogates towards top of my head and right side. Also there is severe sensitivity towards light . Even if i see a low frequency light , that light is visible even if i am not seeing it. If i close my eyes , there will be lights in my vision in darkness.
Stomach problems like digestion problem or gas in stomach will aggrevate the glidiness,head and neck pains. If i go to toilet i feel the pressure on my head is coming down.

Note: I am working in Software field from 6 years. I was an eplipsey patioent from 1995 to 2001.
Last attack was almost 11 years back. Is that epilipsey still haunting me.
Please tell me what exactly the problem is.
Posted Wed, 30 May 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 57 minutes later
Hello

Thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the problems you are experiencing.

From the clinical details provided to me it looks like you are suffering from vascular headache, probably migraine. Typical migraine headache is unilateral, pulsatile, and is aggravated by physical activity. The pain is moderate to severe and can be aggravated by exposure to light or noise. Migraine and epilepsy can co-exist together and are two different problems.

Dizziness or vertigo is a common complaint among migraineurs, and can be seen in one third of them suffering from migraine. Head, neck and shoulder pains are relatively common in chronic migraine and does not indicate any other serious disease.

My recommendation would be for you to see you Neurologist for consultation and clinical examination to exclude other causes of headache. In view of disabling migraine in you you need to be on medications to abort migraine attacks and prevent it becoming more severe in the future. Commonly used medications for prophylaxis are Beta blockers, Flunarizine and Topiramate.

I want to reassure you your epilepsy is under remission and is not the cause of your disabling headache's. This is certainly not something that is not life-threatening.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to discuss them with you.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.

Follow-up: Headache & neck pain, sensitivity to light, digestion problem, giddiness. Had epileptic attack long back. What exactly is the problem? 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,

I failed to mention some points in my question.
1. I smoke 8 cigarettes on an average per day.
2.I skip breakfast on 60% of the days
3. If i take food when i am feeling severely hungry(with acidity/gas in stomach ) i get glidiness/diziness during or after eating.
4. If i am having too much tension, i noticed dizzy/glidiness spells and weakness in my body.
5. Most of the time my body XXXXXXX temperature will be high(may be due to digestion problems).
6. There will be much anxiety and fear during dizzi/glidiness spells

Doctor, I also feel that i am having gaestric related problems which are also causing dizzi spells.

Follow-up: Headache & neck pain, sensitivity to light, digestion problem, giddiness. Had epileptic attack long back. What exactly is the problem? 5 minutes later
One more thing noticed is pounding heart .Most of the time in a day my pulse is around 85 per minute. I also feel pain and sourness in my left inner ear during head aches and dizzi spells.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 17 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the follow up query

Regarding the GI problems and acidity, I personally feel these are due to stress, smoke and irregular dietary habits. As we all know that migraine and tension type headache are very closely related to stress and lack of sleep.

So my advise for you is to stop your smoke, eat in time and take medications for your acidity as well as migraine headaches. You need to see your Neurologist for initiation of the medications for migraine. Yoga and meditations would be of benefit for your anxiety and stress.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R

Follow-up: Headache & neck pain, sensitivity to light, digestion problem, giddiness. Had epileptic attack long back. What exactly is the problem? 4 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Recently(5 days back) i visited Hosmat hospital , on hearing my problems and scenarios of dizziness, the doctor has told that i might be having Reflex Epilipsey(Eating or photosensitivity).She prescribed following medicines.
Zefretol---for eating epilipsey
Topirol ---Migraine
Naxdom---headache.

I was really depressed on hearing epilipsey in me.
As of now i am not using any drugs mentioned above because the drug prescription is without any diagnosis.
Yesterday i had an MRI Brain and EEG done. I am planning to visit a neurologist with these reports.May be on having a look at the reports , the problem gets identified.

Doctor,please let me know whether i can use Topirol and naxdom for migraines.

If possible i will consult you at Yashomati hospital with the reports this week-end.

Sorry for asking too many questions.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 20 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the follow up query

Regarding migraine and its treatment, topirol is a good medicine for migraine prophylaxis. You need to take it for 3-6 months depending on the severity of the migraine. Naxdom is a painkiller which needs to be taken at the time of severe attacks. Do continue on this medicines and avoid migraine becoming more severe in the future. I personally feel it may not be a reflex epilepsy.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R