Headache, heavy back, sore neck, sleepy, sore throat, feels like I'm going to get a cold.

Hi doc, I'm feeling very weird lately, I'm 29 and sleeping at least 6-8 hrs a day, but then I get up with a bad headache, my back feels very heavy, neck area very sore, it goes away for a couple of hours, then I become so sleepy, I'm a very active person, exercise 2x a week, but I feel sleepy all the time now, I also have a slight sore throat and I feel like I'm going to get a cold.. :) thanks in advance
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later

Everything you describe here sounds like most likely a benign type of viral syndrome. Viruses in the environment are common and when we are exposed to them they can sometimes trigger a constellation of symptoms including fatigue, headache, bodyache, etc.

These types of viral syndromes typically last from as little as 3 days up to sometimes 4 to 6 weeks. I would advise that you support your body with good hydration, adequate sleep, a well-balanced diet and a moderate exercise regimen. In addition, you can supplement your diet with some Vitamin C - 1000 mg daily and consider drinking some immune boost type of tea such as Echinacea which is readily available at most supermarkets.
For symptomatic relief you can start taking double strength Acetaminophen every 6 hourly if you are not allergic to it.
I expect your symptoms to gradually level off and improve over the next week or two. In the event that this does not occur, I suggest you visit with your primary physician for a complete physical exam and possibly some blood work as well. In the meantime, try not to worry about this and focus on maintaining good health as I have recommended with diet, fluid intake and exercise as well as adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night).

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.