Headache, dry cough, fatigue, throat pain, uneasy stomach, feverish, skin break out

Hi, I have a headache, dry cough, slight fatigue, throat hurts, and stomach feels uneasy. I'm also feel feverish, and my skin has recently broken out. I'm a 24yr old, female.
Posted Sun, 29 Jul 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiology. I read your question with diligence.

Let us analyse your headache. You have said you are feeling feverish. The most common cause of such headache is sinusitis or dental infection. Take over the counter available medicine like paracetamol (Tylenol) 500 mg (up 3 tablets a day).
If headache is not relieved, fever increases then, you should seek medical care. Also for new onset headaches, fever, stiff neck, change in behavior, vomiting, weakness or change in sensation. Otherwise nothing to worry.

The head is one of the most common sites of pain in the body.

The most common types of primary (without any pathology like injury, tumor or ear or dental abscess, headaches are 1) tension, 2) migraine, and 3) cluster.

Tension headaches are the most common type of primary headache and usually are treated with over-the-counter medications for pain. The most likely cause is contraction of the muscles that cover the skull. When the muscles covering the skull are stressed, they may spasm and cause pain. Common sites include the base of the skull where the trapezius muscles of the neck One thing which causes similar headache is High BP and vision problems. It is good idea to get your blood pressure checked and eye sight tested.
Cluster Headache
The cause of cluster headaches is uncertain. It may be that certain parts of the brain begin to malfunction for an unknown reason. The hypothalamus, an area located at the base of the brain is responsible for the body's biologic clock and may be the part of the brain that is the source for the headaches. When brain scans are performed on patients who are in the midst of a cluster headache, there is abnormal activity in the hypothalamus.
Cluster headaches also:
1. tend to run in families and this suggests that there may be a genetic role;
2. may be triggered by changes in sleep patterns;
3. may be triggered by medications (for example, nitroglycerin, used for heart
Last but not the least we should exclude Migraine:
What is a migraine headache?

A migraine headache is a form of vascular headache. Migraine headache is caused by vasodilatation (enlargement of blood vessels) that causes the release of chemicals from nerve fibers that coil around the large arteries of the brain. Enlargement of these blood vessels stretches the nerves that coil around them and causes the nerves to release chemicals. The chemicals cause inflammation, pain, and further enlargement of the artery. The increasing enlargement of the arteries magnifies the pain.

Migraine attacks commonly activate the sympathetic nervous system in the body. The sympathetic nervous system is often thought of as the part of the nervous system that controls primitive responses to stress and pain, the so-called "fight or flight" response, and this activation causes many of the symptoms associated with migraine attacks; for example, the increased sympathetic nervous activity in the intestine causes nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
1. Sympathetic activity also delays emptying of the stomach into the small
intestine and thereby prevents oral medications from entering the intestine and
being absorbed.

2. The impaired absorption of oral medications is a common reason for the
ineffectiveness of medications taken to treat migraine headaches.

3. The increased sympathetic activity also decreases the circulation of blood, and
this leads to pallor of the skin as well as cold hands and feet.

4. The increased sympathetic activity also contributes to the sensitivity to light
and sound sensitivity as well as blurred vision.

Missed work and lost productivity from migraine create a significant public burden. Nevertheless, migraine still remains largely underdiagnosed and undertreated. Less than half of individuals with migraine are diagnosed by their doctors.

Therefore, if you have recurrent headaches and associated symptoms please consult a doctor.

I hope the above information is useful. If there is nay follow up query, I will be happy to answer as soon as possible.

Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW