Head injury, ear pain, numbness in fingers, difference in depth from scalp to neck, tingling. Had fungal lung pneumonia

2 weeks ago I hit the back of my head on concrete and was briefly unconscious. The wound probably needed stitches but as I don't have insurance, I went inside & slept for two days (I know that is the last thing I should have done but OMG that's ALL I could do!). In the days after that I would have sharp pain in my right ear that felt like someone jabbing a pencil from the inside of my ear toward the outside. (no blood ever) My pinkies and ring fingers on both hands felt numb for about a week but was more pronounced on the left side. The strength in that hand also felt week (but is progressively better). I'm pretty sure that I've fractured my skull as I can feel a difference in depth along a line on my scalp from the middle of the back of my head down toward the back of my right ear. I've read that a linear skull fracture is medically insignificant however, my new symptom is exhibited when I tilt my neck toward my chest. On both sides of my body it starts to tingle and intensifies the lower I put my chin down. (fluid pressure on nerves?) I have recently gotten back on my feet after filing for bankruptcy after another medical related issue. (fungal lung pneumonia) I work hard & have an 8 yr old son that I would like to continue to feed & watch grow up. Is what I have described to you life threatening?
Thank you for your time. XXXXXXX Gillette
Posted Mon, 25 Jun 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 24 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
There are 2 issues here. The first is the brief episode of unconsciousness you had after hitting concrete. We would definitely suggest a CT scan of the head in such a case. We are trying to rule out a bleed in the skull here. This can be life threatening at times.
As far as the symptoms in your right hand are concerned, the right cause can be ascertained only after a physical exam. The cause could be compression of the nerves from any area right from the neck to the hand. It is not fluid pressure, but seems to be a result of the trauma you sustained. While this is not life threatening, I would suggest that you see a physician and get this issue sorted out before it gets worse.
However, I am a general physician who works as an associate in the department of neurosurgery. I am having my XXXXXXX consultants look at your case and give their opinion. This might take a little time. As soon as we have the reply, we'll post it in your account.
Appreciate your patience.
Hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please post a follow up.
Follow-up: Head injury, ear pain, numbness in fingers, difference in depth from scalp to neck, tingling. Had fungal lung pneumonia 17 minutes later
Thank you for your time XXXXXXX I pray this doesn't get worse over time.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 3 hours later
Thanks for writing back.
You're welcome and I am glad I could be of some assistance to you. You will have an opinion from a consultant neurosurgeon very soon.