Having white worms in stool during pregnancy. Taken albendezol but no change. Any suggestion?

Mar 2016

hi,i am running on seventh month of white worm in stool a week back,taken albendezol 400 mg once,and nw again i got white worm today in my stool..both time it was quite long one..i m concerned about my baby,if its gona effect baby..will visit doc tomorrow for stool test i guess...any suggestion?
Posted Thu, 14 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

From your given information, I can assume that you are currently suffering from intestinal worm (mostly pin worm or round worm) infestation. It is commonly associated with infected drinking water, eating uncooked meat or vegetables, skin contact with larva infected soil etc. Fecal-oral route transmission is quite common in this type of infestation.

Here, you must undergo one stool examination to identify the causative agent and confirm the diagnosis. This type of worm or antihelminthics medication (like Albendazole) usually don't cause any harmful effect to growing baby at 7 month of pregnancy. However, it should be properly treated.

TREATMENT: Intestinal worm infestation is usually treated with deworming agents or medicine. Albendazole or mebendazole is the drug of choice.

Kindly, procure a prescription with proper dose and direction from your treating doctor after confirmation of the diagnosis by stool test.

PREVENTION: 1) Proper washing and cleaning of fruits and vegetables before consuming is mandatory.

2) Try to avoid eating foods from outsiders. Take only home made properly cooked food stuffs.

3) Drink more water 2-3 lit/ day. Strictly avoid all fatty foods like oil, butter and cream. Consume more fibers, Vitamin-C, Zinc to reduce worm load.

4) Do not forget to wash your hands after changing diapers, cleaning house, holding uncleaned food stuffs, handling pet animals.

5) You would not take meat until your problem is subsided. You can take yoghurt to restore digestive health.

6) Maintain genital hygiene, clean your hands & legs after go out every time. It is the most effective mode of prevention.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Having white worms in stool during pregnancy. Taken albendezol but no change. Any suggestion? 31 minutes later
i have only one query,if i have taken a dose of albendazole,why still i got worm,the 2nd time in my stool?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

After taking one dose of Albendazole, recurrence of intestinal worm may be due to

1) Drinking of infected water, eating uncooked meat or vegetables, skin contact with larva infected soil etc.
2) Partially or incomplete treatment and improper dosing of medication.
3) Duration of therapy was not adequate for complete deworming.

Here, I suggest to undergo stool test again and take complete prescription from your treating doctor. In addition, you must follow prevention strategy which are mentioned in my earlier text.

Hope, I have guided you properly. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen