Having welts on skin and rash in armpit. Having itchy soles. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013

Dermatologist
Question
I just woke in a hotel room with a dozen or so 'welts' on my skin and a rashy outbreak in one armpit. I am seeing no signs of bedbugs in hotel linens, beds, etc., and the only thing that itches are the soles of my feet. I took a shower and now am prparing to leave. What do you think? (I rarely get rashes or get bitten or bothered by bug bites.) Thank you.
Posted Thu, 20 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 43 minutes later
Hello Madam,

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare Magic.

I completely understand your concern of welts over your skin and I hope I am able to help you for the same.

As per your query the non itchy welts and the rash appeared suddenly after you woke up.

By this short history of its appearance we can make out a possibility of simple "urticaria". This is a medical terminology used for all the kind of welts or we say medically as "wheals". These appears transiently and may persist for up to 24 hours and then disappear without any marks or any problem. These appear as red wheals or welts or are mildly to severely itchy ( depends from person to person). As per your problem the only itchy part of your body are the soles. So I can make out you are more concerned about the welts.

You should not be worried about bedbugs as the welts produced by bedbugs are slow to develop (not so fast and sudden), have bit of bite marks kind of appearance (especially over the exposed areas where the area is not covered by clothes) which are present in a kind of straight row appearance.

You can do cold shower or compression of simple water according to the weather conditions (cold compression if the weather is hot or mildly warm compresses if the weather is cold).

You can apply over the counter available calamine lotion in a thin layer for 2-3 times. If itching becomes higher then in my clinical practice i prefer to give tablet "loratadine" ( up to three times a day) in day time or "Levocetrizine" at night time by mouth.

If the welts are increasing or are not subsiding in next 24 hours despite above simple measures then it would be better to consult a doctor (preferably dermatologist) and take the best advise accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
(MD- Dermatology & STD)

Follow-up: Having welts on skin and rash in armpit. Having itchy soles. What to do? 15 minutes later
Thank you. Very helpful. And while it still is not itching, feel it's getting worse - redness and "welts" are now on legs, like it's traveling down my body. Still okay?

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 50 minutes later
Hello Madam,

Welcome again to the forum.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

According to the latest development the welts are becoming more red and progressing to legs.

As I told in my previous Email, you can do compressions of cold/warm water, apply the calamine lotion and "most importantly" take "antihistamine drug" as guided previously. By above measures the things would be better in few hours.

If it is getting worsened despite "the measures enumerated above" then it would be better to take a opinion from the doctor.
I hope I you will be benefited by above informations. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Wish you good health and early recovery.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
(MD- Dermatology & STD)

Follow-up: Having welts on skin and rash in armpit. Having itchy soles. What to do? 1 hour later
Thanks again - I am doing best to ignore and it seems better! Did realize I ate what menu called 'exotic' mushrooms last night. This could be the cause right?! Last query I promise ! Am drinking lots of water....

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Hello Madam,

So nice to hear from you that you are getting better.

I must say you have quite intelligently found out the most probable cause. Yes, "Urticaria" could be because of multiple of causes and even sometimes food is an important cause.

For food especially, we take the history of consumptions of any typical food in last 24 hours. "Mushrooms" specifically are known factor to induce wheals or welts in persons susceptible to it. This along with other foods related to it are known as "High Histamine foods" which are prone to cause urticaria.

So, I request to take care and be vigilant next time if you eat mushrooms or foods like mushrooms. You can take antihistamine if required, the things will be alright in few hours.
I hope the suggestions would be helpful. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.
I hope you would be definitely alright in few hours.
Wish you good health and fast recovery.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
(MD- Dermatology & STD)