Having viral infection in nostrils. Suggest medication

hello, I have a viral infection in my nostrils,my dr has given me some nasel stuff to put in but it is not working. I have had this for a few months now and it can be very sore.My nose cakes up with mucus and I have to try and clear it but when I do my nose bleeds.Can u suggest anything please. Thank You XXXXXXX G.
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Chronic Sinusitis. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. Viral infection in most cases are self limiting. So in my opinion my diagnosis based on the symptoms could be Chronic sinusitis. This might may happened due to secondary bacterial infection following the viral infection. This inflammation and infection produces large amount of mucus. Nose picking injury the small blood vessels of the Little's area of the nose and makes you bleed. So it is not advisable to nose pick. In this scenario I would my patient to take a course of oral antibiotics for 2 to 3 weeks. If there is no improvement then I would order for investigation like CT scan of the nose and paranasal sinuses to arrive at a diagnosis. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know it there are any clarifications. Regards.