Having vaginal itching problem. Comes back when medication is stopped. Suggest a permanent solution?

Hi Dr,

I am having a vaginal itching problem from past 2-3 months. I have visitec to Gyno for 4 times but no improvement. While taking the medication it seems to be ok after stopping it is coming back again.

Please suggest a permanent solution.
Posted Wed, 25 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more information

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns. I would require more details from you.

Could you please mention the name of all drugs that you have taken until now for this vaginal itching problem?

Also, let me know about your sexual status - are you currently active sexually? When was your last periods or Last menstrual Period (LMP)? Is there burning sensation while passing urine? Is the vaginal itching associated with any discharge?

Please write in detail. I wish to help you specifically regarding your problem.

Awaiting your response
Follow-up: Having vaginal itching problem. Comes back when medication is stopped. Suggest a permanent solution? 10 minutes later
Hello Mam,

Thanks for your reply.
I am not remembering all the medicines I have used. Recently pescribed that I am currently taking is Doxy and metrogyl. she also prescribed Candid for XXXXXXX pushing That yet I have not used. Previously she given onabet.I am using Ovral_ L for last 2 yrs. I was using a pack of that used 24 tabs.Then for some reason I skipped the last 7tabs for preponding my period. Last perod was 15 days back. I am sexually active as I am married from 3 yrs.

I am feeling a little burning sensation sometimes but not regular. white discharge is there with itching and a little smell.

Please provide me a permanent solution and tell me is there any serious issue?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Permanent solution is outlined below

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing the details. It seems like you have taken incomplete treatment, and that is the reason for its recurrence.

You probably have recurrent vaginitis problem that needs oral medications.

I am sorry but you should have used the candid pessary for XXXXXXX use. If you are uncomfortable with it, then no problem. You can take oral medication. You will need to take a single tablet of Fluconazole 150 mg orally after food. This is a prescription drug. Please get it prescribed by your doctor.

Along with this a repeat course of Metrogyl 400mg thrice daily for 3 days is required. This is a prescription drug too.

Whatever be it, taking the Fluconazole tablet or using the candid pessary is very important. This is the permanent solution to your problem. Please inquire with your husband about similar complaints in him. If yes, he needs to be treated as well.

For some time, you may ask your husband to use condoms to prevent cross- infection amongst both of you.

Continue Ovral-L and maintain good personal hygiene.

With these measures you will get permanent relief. There is no serious issue here.

Get well soon.