Having trouble with slurred speech, vision problems and walking. What could be the problem?

Nov 2013

My mother is having trouble with slurred speech, falling, vision problems, and walking. This has been on and off again. Her dr. Has taken her off the injections but still has her on ; I believe two medications twice a day. She fell last week and had 9 staples in her head. I am in Florida and she in North XXXXXXX I am worried sick about her. She has had a stress test, brain scan, etc. but has yet to see a neurologist. Also she has a rare liver condition called porphyria. I have been trying to research her symptoms. Also she is always tired and lethargic
Do you have any ideas?
Posted Sat, 3 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

Based on her symptoms, the most likely diagnosis is posterior circulation TIA (transient ischemic attack).

In this condition, also called as minor brain stroke, the blood supply to back of brain (which consists of cerebellum and brainstem) is reduced.

As a result, patients may have double vision, slurred speech, imbalance while walking, difficulty in swallowing, etc. Symptoms may recover within 24 hours, but mostly does so in an hour.

For further evaluation, MRI and MR angiogram of brain would be useful.

Treatment with anti platelet agents such as aspirin or clopidogrel may be required.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist