Having tingling/pins and needle type of sensation in hand, thumbs and palm. What can be done?

Nov 2013

since last night i am having a tingling/pins and needle type of sensation in left hand (only parts ie thumb, first finger and palm area under the thumb, by afternoon i can feel if in parts of second finger too)
i did not do anything strenuous or twist my arm etc.
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 days later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest any serious neurological problem.

The most likely diagnosis in your case is carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS). In this condition, the median nerve, which enters the hand via a small tunnel at the wrist level, gets slightly compressed there. As a result, there is often pain and tingling in thumb, and the next three fingers, including palm. Symptoms may get worse at nights.

Initial treatment is with medications such as pregabalin or gabapentin.

The diagnosis can be confirmed by nerve conduction studies. Please consult a neurologist if symptoms persist.

I would be pleased to answer any follow up queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad