Having swollen glands, sore throat, body aches and extreme fatigue. What could be the reason?

Question
Hello. I am normally a healthy 42 y/o female. What is concerning me are these symptoms that have been occuring for some time now, on and off. I am expereiencing: what feels like swollen glands, sore throat, body aches (but mostly upper back pain), sweats and then chills throughout the day, but normal temperature. Also, extreme fatigue, and shortness of breath just from walking up my flight of stairs in my home. Am I dying. lol
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Firstly,i need to know of you are having regular menses.Do you have any night sweats,hot flushes etc? How long have you had these symptoms for? Any palpitations?

Follow-up: Having swollen glands, sore throat, body aches and extreme fatigue. What could be the reason? 22 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX Yes, I still have regular menses. I have woken up sweaty, but it does not wake me up. I have been experiencing this for a couple of months now. when the flushes and then chills happen, it is also when I am experiencing extreme fatigue, body aches, sob, swollen and tender glands. Also, it feels like I have something stuck in my throat. When I coough to bring it up, it is dry. No palpations at all. I have normal b/p (110/70 mostly), pulse rate normal range(80-90 bpm), and no respiratory issues with the exception of being sob when I go up the flight of stairs. I am a healthy 42 year old weighing 125 pounds at 5'5" tall who chases around 4 children all under 10 years of age, so that gives me plenty of excercise. Just when these "episodes" happen, I feel like I can't even get out of bed to be the mom I need to be.

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 35 minutes later
Ok,its possible that these symptoms are occurring due to hormonal imbalance. You should get you LH,FSH,TSH,T4 checked.The flushes and chill may be associated with that,but the shortness of breath isnt. That needs to be investigated further. You need to get a chest xray,ECG first. If its normal,then have an ENT doctor take a look at your glands.But the hormone tests should be done first and ruled out.

Follow-up: Having swollen glands, sore throat, body aches and extreme fatigue. What could be the reason? 4 minutes later
Thank you. I do have an appointment scheduled with my Dr. for this afternoon, but was just interested in having another expert analysis to use. :)

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 minutes later
Happy to help. You can definitely contact me for further clarifications.