Having swollen feet. Putting feet in cold water and swelling gone. But again back by afternoon. Remedy?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My feet, especially my left foot has been swollen for 2 days. At night I put my feet in cold water by next morning the swelling is gone. By afternoon their swollen again. I need help?
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 33 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

If you don't have heart or kidney disease then this is probably caused by local factors.(but anyway check your heart and kidney function if you have time).

Many women experience this in your age and the most common cause is leg venous insufficiency. Symptoms of this are: legs swelling and pain especially after long standing, varicose superficial veins, skin changes(brown spots, dermatitis, thin skin) at ankles. This can be evaluated by Doppler ultrasound of legs where blood flow can be seen. If I am right you should try to keep your legs elevated as much as you can, not to stand for long, avoid inadequate shoes, use special elastic stockings, lose weight if overweight and avoid salty food. It can also be surgically managed if necessary.

Other less common causes are infectious arthritis( it there is redness and intensive pain in feet) or inflammatory disease such as gout or rheumatoid arthritis.

Wish you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.