Having swelling and pain on lower part of rectum. Any advice?

General Surgeon
Hi Doctor,. I usually take veg food. but travelling london last week, I took non veg. back office now, i am having swelling and pain on lower part of rectum[ one side only] pain on deification. I am told by doctor friend to take Ciplox TZ for 3 days along with Smuth. I didnot get the Smuth. Advice on the above please.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 52 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Rectal pain and pain during defecation are mostly caused by anal fissure. This condition is caused by constipation and pushing on stool. It results with superficial tearing of anus and lefts some kind of wound. Some blood in stool can appear.
Your symptoms can be also caused by hemorrhoids or diverticulitis (very characteristic for it is pain in lower left abdomen).
If you suffer only of pain localized in the rectal area, and no abdominal pain, nausea, constipations, weight lost, blood mixed in stool (fissure causes fresh blood on the surface of the stool) the fissure it is. If any of mentioned symptoms appears, abdominal ultrasound, full blood work and colonoscopy is necessary (if blood level of WBC will be increased and pain in lower left abdomen, the colonoscopy should be performed after recovery from inflammation).
To treat fissure you should:
- avoid constipations, keep your stool soft and do not push hard on stool
- increase fiber XXXXXXX products and mineral water
- have more physical activity
- wash your rectal area after every stool and keep it clean and dry
- Quercus Cortex baths twice a day can be very helpful
- ask your doctor about Nitroglycerin gel and Xylocain gel
Such treated fissure should get healed in a week or so.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.