Having stress, headache. Developed a lump on head. Ask neurologist?

I am a 56 year old female...My life has been extra stressful in the past few weeks (sickness, hospital and death of close relations). About two weeks ago I developed a headache, that has more or less persisted...Wednesday, I developed a lump on the back of my head, my GP thought it felt is painful to the touch..and now I feel dizzy when I stand up. Can you tell me possible reasons? I do have an appointment with a neurologist...but can't really find info and what it may be. I do not remember hitting my head.Thank you.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Headache you have could be due to either of two possibilities. The stressful period you had could be the reason for headache, mind relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation could be of help here.

The other possibility causing headache could be the lump you have on back of the head. Since the lump is hard and has occurred without any possible injury, I suspect the lesion to be due to a bony defect secondary to inflammation or an infection in the skull bone.

An Xray of the skull would be a best modality to identify the type of lesion and the exact cause for the same.

Do discuss about the same with the Neurologist when you consult one.

Hope I answered your query.

Please let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Having stress, headache. Developed a lump on head. Ask neurologist? 48 hours later
The lump, now lumps turned out to be please reconsider your answer with that info. I am still dizzy when I stand up, and I'm tired all the time...also my hips hurt me. I think it's probably important to also mention that I have lost about 21 pounds since December 18...I am eating well, I think. Brown rice, multigrain cereal, fresh fruit and vegetables daily and lean protien mostly fish. I try to stay around 1200 calories. My MD checked my was 12...and blood sugar was 86. I am not someone who is chronically ill. I'm used to perfect health. I'd just like to know what to do. I've been taking aspirin at least twicw a day to help with headache and hip pain...but the dizzy is constant. Middle ear thing? please tell me what you think my next step should be. My MD recommended a stronger head ache medicine. I do not think I will be going back to her. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If the dizziness and other symptoms are since you developed the lump on your head then there is no need to worry. The symptoms could probably be secondary to bacterial infection which is the commonest cause for folliculits. Once the infection in the lump is cleared with a course of antibiotics, symptoms you have will subside without any complications.

If you had a history of inner ear infection and if you feel the surroundings are spinning around you (Vertigo) then it could be due to a vestibular defect which has to be studies well by an ENT specialist to place you on right treatment.

Considering your weight loss in last three months, I suggest you to get a Complete blood count test done. This test can give some clue to find the cause for the same. Need not worry such weight loss need not always be due to pathological conditions.
Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Having stress, headache. Developed a lump on head. Ask neurologist? 2 days later
well, I really do seem to be a bundle of nerves. Went to a chiropractor yesterday and an ENT. Went to the Chropractor since my legs are so painful, if I don't take aspirin every 4 hours I can't sleep or sit. So that part I was told was sciatica...I have a few more appts in the next week or so, and she told me to switch from aspirin to Advil...taking too much aspirin. The ENT ruled out everything from sinus and ear infection to lesion, tumor. or high or low blood pressure etc to explain the dizziness when I stand up. He did say neck muscles are very tight and I might consider a neurologist, who could prescribe a muscle relaxer. Are there exercises I could do instead, or would you suggest hot or cold compresses? Also have you ever heard of arthritis in your head or neck (someone in my office was just diagnosed with it, in her head...she told me about it because she was getting dizzy too. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 43 minutes later
Hi again,

Yes, spondylosis of the neck is a condition affecting the joints in the neck which can sometimes give rise to symptoms you have.

Do apply hot compresses which may relax your neck muscles and provide you relief. Applying cold compresses may aggravate the problem.

Consulting a neurologist would be a better option now.

Wish you good health.