Having stomach pain with gurgling sound and passing watery stool. Safe remedy?

Question
I have stomachs pains that make a gurgling sound. I also have watery stools. In the last two
Days I only had crackers and water. Thank you
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
When diarrhea begins suddenly the problem is usually gastroenteritis (or stomach flu), most often caused by a virus and sometimes by bacteria and parasites.

Take adequate fluids throughout the day. For this try replacing lost fluid and electrolytes (sodium and potassium). Administering special fluids by mouth (oral rehydration therapy) is the most effective way of doing this. They are available OTC in pharmacies or grocery stores.

The BRAT diet (ie, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet can alsobe given. Antimicrobial therapy is indicated for some bacterial gastroenteritis infections. However, many are self-limited and do not require therapy.

Also take healthy, nutritious food and take it 2 hrs prior to bedtime.Also keep the head end of your bed elevated by two blocks and avoid giving a single,heavy meal. Take food at regular intervals. If the symptoms persist then you should get an evaluation done from a physician as you may need oral antibiotics.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Having stomach pain with gurgling sound and passing watery stool. Safe remedy? 33 minutes later
I am not able to eat-I get severe cramps and then watery diareaha. This is the second day. How long should this go on?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 40 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Viral diarrhea usually persists for 1-2 days and then the frequency of watery stools decreases. Till that time, it is important to maintain the fluid electrolyte balance by taking oral rehydration solution and other fluids.

Just keep yourself well hydrated by taking adequate amount of fluids like juices,clear soups etc.Also add fiber or roughage to your diet after diarrhea subsides.