Having stomach pain and appendix. Could I ask a doctor?

My Husband aged 72 has stomach pains, no diahorrea, just feels after he has emptied his bowels that he needs to go again. Had the pain for a couple of days, still has appendix. The pain is positioned in the middle of the stomach just below the navel and does radiate to both sides. Has a lot of wind as well.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Aparna Amritsagar 54 minutes later
Thanx for your query.
Your husband may have developed indigestion which may be due to faulty eating habits, irregular meal timing or because of slowed digestion which often occurs at this age. If he also has fever along with this symptoms he might have developed an abdominal infection. However if there is no fever & not associated with abdominal bloating, than you can give him curd to eat. Curd contains good bacteria which takes care of mild bacterial infections. Ask him to drink plenty of oral liquids. Reduce intake of tea , coffee. Take bland diet.Allow him to take rest.
If after doing all this if the symptoms still persist , than you should consult your doctor.If the pain is severe than you should consult your doctor immediately. A stool examination can also confirm if he has any infection or not.
I hope I have answered your query. Take care.