Having stomach cramps in lower abdomen and diarrhoea after eating. What should I do?

General Surgeon
I am having stomach cramps in lower abdomen and diarrhea after eating anything. Running often. Not normal diarrhea...VERY small amounts that almost look like mucus but brown in color. Had a stomach virus last Tuesday and Wednesday with worse cramping than this, a little vomiting, and more running. What should I do?
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

What you are suffering from is probably some kind of intestine infection. Especially that you connect is with stomach virus. However such symptoms may also be a sign of pancreas disease or non-bacterial intestines disease.
First you should try to get rid of this diarrhea. I suggest you to stop eating foods for a day or two and drink only fluids like water or tea (about a 2 liters a day). To make intestine natural bacteria rebuild it is advisable to use some probiotics.
It is also advisable to start Rifaximine (3x400 mg) or Nifuroxazid (3x400mg) treatment (should be prescribed by your doctor). If the diarrhea will go away in a day or two, you should gradually start eating.
If your diarrhea will not go away in a few days, you should have abdominal ultrasound, fool blood work, pancreas and liver tests,urine tests and stool tests performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.