Having stomach-ache. CT scan showed bilaterally cysts on both kidneys. Should I go for surgery?

I have had a CT scan and find I have a bilaterally cysts on both kidneys.
On the right side is a large parapelivic cyst measuring 9.0cm.
On the left side I have a 9.0cm in the upper pole of the kidney.
Both kidneys otherwise appear normal.
A I am in a fair amount of pain in my stomach on either side of my belly button I think it is coming from my kidneys.
Would surgery be my best longtime cure
Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 5 hours later
Cysts in kidneys after the age of 40 are normal. However these cysts are simple cysts with clear fluid inside. If your cysts are simple cysts
, it is unlikely of any significance.
However if cysts are complex with septations or heterogenous appearance they would need further evaluation.
In your case you have mentioned cysts of 9 cm, kindly recheck the size of the cysts, it may be in mm, as it is very unusual to have such large cysts. If they are so large surgery might be of benefit, as very large cysts may cause pain due to stretching of renal capsule. But again such pain is usually at the back..
Follow-up: Having stomach-ache. CT scan showed bilaterally cysts on both kidneys. Should I go for surgery? 12 hours later
Today I have checked and they are 9cm sizes.
What type of surgery would take place and the recovery time after the operation.
No back pain ,but stomach is very bloated at times and painfull even to tie up shoe laces.
Very painfull at nights when sleeping as it wakes one up and then necessary to have to go to toilet for urine.
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 1 hour later

Laparoscopic surgery is possible for the cysts, in which a de-roofing procedure is done. Usually a 4-5 days stay is enough. One of your cysts is a Para pelvic cyst and may require pyeloplasty, which could need an open surgery and a longer post op stay of a week to 10 days.
Final decision can be taken only after a detailed review of your C T by your surgeon.