Having stiff neck, regular back spasms, dizzy spells and headache. What the symptoms suggest?

Nov 2013

Re: Please confirm your question and add more details I have a few problems that concern me. I feel dizzy spells during the day. I get ear ache at random times thorughout the day and some days when I wake up my ear hurts. I have regular headaches. Occasionally when I smile my mouth twitches at the corners. I see a lot of floaters. I have a stiff neck with regular back spasms. I have a history of migraines.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 21 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

I have noted your symptoms, and would like to reassure you that they do not suggest any serious brain problem.

Migraine can cause frequent headaches, associated with dizziness. Associated nausea or vomiting may also occur. Symptoms tend to get worse with exposure to bright light or noise.

Since you have frequent headaches, you need to start preventive medications such as beta blockers, topiramate, divalproex, etc. These medications would reduce the frequency and severity of headaches & dizziness.

In addition, you should get an ENT exam done for ear aches, although I do not think it is serious. For floaters, an eye check up would also help.

Twitches around the corners of mouth are normal, and there is no need to worry.

I hope it helps. I would be pleased to answer any further queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Having stiff neck, regular back spasms, dizzy spells and headache. What the symptoms suggest? 1 hour later
Thanks for your response. The floaters seem like I watching a old black and white tv with noise. The visual noise does get worse with migraine but it doesn't fade when the migraine subsides. I have been for a EEG about 1.5 ago and nothing strange was picked up. I do suffer from nmbness/tingling in my right/left side for a few days after a head ache. I believe the headaches are mainly stress induced. I do gym 3 times a week and I am not sure how else to help with stress. I take tripiline in evenings.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 26 minutes later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

Visual symptoms can be part of migraine, or retinal migraine, if eye check up is normal.

Normal EEG excludes epilepsy, as a cause of your symptoms, and it is a good news.

Stress can definitely cuase headaches and sleep disturbance. Meditation and yoga exercises are useful in dealing with stress.

If there are specific stressors, then, taking help from a psychologist or counselor would be useful.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM