Having spider bites on leg. Feel sore and swollen. Took antihistamine and Aleve. What to do?

About 2 months ago I got about 10-12 spider bites on one leg. It was sore and swelled a little for a couple days then the uncomfortable feeling went away even tho I still had slight swelling. Then about 5 weeks later my knee swelled up, got sore and very stiff. Support helped at first now it does not. Then I tried an antihistamine and it helped till now. Today I am swollen even tho I took the antihistamine last night and I am getting a sharp pain thru the center/side of my knee. I have also taken Aleve today for the pain. I have been working but slowly and trying to baby it but it is worse. Ice helped a little but only temporarily. Will try it again now as the pain is so bad.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 7 hours later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your health concerns. It will be important for you to be seen and examined by a physician for this swelling. It can represent a more serious condition such as cellulitis or erysipelas, which are bacterial infections that require antibiotics, or even deep venous thrombosis, a deep clot in the leg that can be painful and cause swollen legs, and can be diagnosed with ultrasound.

Hope this is helpful wish you the best health blessings.

Dr Brenes Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN