Having sore and red skin growth on back of neck. Skin getting dried. How to get cured?

Hi I have a growth on the back of my neck appeared - it looks like a burn, though I know it isn't a burn. Its sore and red looking and has got bigger over the last few days.The skin around it has dried out and gone scabby. Can you help?
I have attached a photo.
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Pravin Banodkar 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Thanks for sending the photo across. It looks very much like an impetigo. Impetigo is an infection that commonly occurs due to bacteria .
I would suggest you should take an oral antibiotic from your GP and you should apply Neosporin antibiotic cream on the area .
You should clean the area with a sterile gauze and betadine solution .
If it does not improve in 10 days, please consult a dermatologist .
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks and take care .