Having sore and burning tongue, numb throat and cough. No taste. Had flu and laryngitis. Medication?

My tongue is sore and swollen. My throat is kind of numb and feels like it has a coating. Anything other than water or milk burns my tongue. I cannot taste much - except dark chocolate. I recently battled a cold/flu and am still recovering from laryngitis and still have a deep, productive cough.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It is not unusual to have a temporal alterations in sensations after some viral infections. Changes in the sensitivity usually take at most two to three weeks to fade out.

Persistence of this change should warrant the consult of your physician. It s appropriate during this period to do an appropriate symptomatic management, drink enough water, keep warm and take Vitamin C, especially in the morning hours.

I suggest you stay clam and unmoved for now for its really too early. However, remain watchful and persistence of these symptom should warrant a consultation with your primary care physician.

Thanks and best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.