Having soft finger nails and ridges about nail. Any deficiency?

I have soft finger nails, splitting nails. Ridges on just about every nail.
What am I lacking in my system?
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
lack of biotin can sometimes cause soft nails

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Ridges in the nails can be beau's lines or pitting of the nail.

Beau's lines are deep groove line in the nail that run from one side to the other. These lines are thought to occur due to a temporary cessation of growth of the nail. They are caused by previous severe injury, previous illness that started months prior, exposure to cold. Any severe disease that disrupts the growth.

Pitting or dents in the nail: these are multiple small indentations in the nail. It can be caused by psoriasis, sarcoidosis, alopecia areata, reactive arthritis. The most common cause is psoriasis.

Soft and brittle nails can be related to aging, exposure to water or chemicals such as detergents. It can also occur in more serious conditions such as fungal infections, thyroid disease and psoriasis.
If none of these are present then treatment involves using gloves when in contact with water , use of a moisteriser on the nails and using a supplement with biotin.

You may want to consider visiting a dermatologist to rule out any skin conditions such as psoriasis.
In addition the use of a multivitamin with biotin would also help

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions