Having snapping sound in back of head when move. What could be the cause?

I am a 76 year old woman who is having a snapping sound in the back of my head when I move.
Am wondering if this could be caused by strain on my back from doing so fairly heavy lifting. It
isn't constant, only when I move my head.
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Alekhya 1 hour later

Thank you for the query.

I will try my best to answer your question.
In most cases snapping sound in the back of your head is due to tight neck muscles causing the vertebra to rub on each other during certain movements.
Usually those sounds in the neck are harmless but still it indicates a progressing condition.If you can hear the sound with every tilt or twist of the head then it is said that strain in your vertebra is caused by spasm of trapezius or sternocleidomastoid muscle during lifting heavy weight as you have mentioned. Actually these spams will give rise to short muscles and pull the bones of your vertebra when you move your head you will hear sound which is against the spasm.

As the cause is spasm regular neck muscle stretching exercises are advised morning and evening.Consult your doctor once so that they may take an x-ray and examine you to rule out any arthritis and may also prescribe some muscle relaxants if required.

Hope, I have answered your query in detail.If you have any other feel free to ask again over here.