Having slight discomfort in knee. What cure and medication is required?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, have a slight discomfort in my right knee.
No pain so far, however i feel a discomfort while walking, bending my knee.
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 39 minutes later
At your young age, the discomfort in the knee is more likely to be due to stress related minor capsular inflammation or a decrease in the joint lubricants.
The mild inflammation of the knee can happen after some activity like workouts or kick starting a bike and mostly subsides by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given. Injections - intra- articular are the last options to be considered if all the above measures fail.
In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
4. calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist.
5. Generally we recommended, rest, graded exercises, rest and graded exercises to let you know the right amount of time you can spend on exercise without injuring yourself.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.