Having sinus infection. On erythromycin. Started itching in ear gland. What cure should be done?

I Good evening Dr. Grief,

Here is my medical query.
I have had a sinus infection for approximately a month. I, of course procrastinated, and attempted to deal with it following the holistic road(teas,oil of oregano etc.) )-; . Things took a turn for the worse last week, and I had no choice but to attend a GP and was put on a 6 day course of Erythromycin . At the real change...with the exception of the beginning of hives and a very itchy irritated external ear/gland area.. At that hat point, I attended a walk-in clinic and was advised to go with 500mg 2x a day for two weeks and prescribed hydocort cream for the irritation. I strongly regret waiting a month for medical intervention for the sinus infection.

My query involves that absolutely intolerable side effect: I feel the sinus infection healing....but am laden with insanely intolerable never experienced before, case of itchy ears/ hives also my gland(neck area) the point that I have applied cortisone cream(DR)suggested etc. Do I cease and desist?
I appreciate any input you may have...I may just scratch my ears and neck to the point of a "twilight appearing scenario" if I fall back asleep.)-;Please advise.

I thank you in advance for any insight you may have to impart. XXXXXX
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later

I understand your problem and will advise you accordingly.

Dental infection can cause hives and itching .
Also rarely erythromycin may also cause hives.

Please take tab. Zyrtec twice daily. It is available as over the counter medication.
It will help a lot in itching.

Also you can keep cold soaks over affected area.

Continue applying hydrocortisone cream .Also you can apply cool soothing lotion like calamine lotion over affected area.

Itch should subside in a day or two.

Hope this helps.

If you have any further queries please let me know.