Having shortness of breath, smoker. What are the symptoms of copd?

Pulmonologist
Question
hi. what are the symptoms of copd? lately I have been having a bit of shortness of breath. somtimes after exercise or im thinking due to my hyper acidity. im a smoker
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
long standing cough and breathlessness

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through the query, I would like to comment the following:

1. Long standing cough, persistent increasing breathlessness over the years, increased symptoms in winter, wheezing episodes are some of the symptoms of COPD. Smokers are especially predisposed to develop this disease.

2. Thus, shortness of breath, cough, and/or mucus production, that does not go away, are common signs and symptoms of COPD and indicate the need for a visit to your physician and evaluation for the need of a breathing test called spirometry.

3. You should get yourself evaluated from a Pulmonologist considering your symptoms.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any.
Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist

Follow-up: Having shortness of breath, smoker. What are the symptoms of copd? 20 minutes later
thanks dr. no cough or wheez so far. had xray done and clear

Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get a pft done.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.

Do visit a Pulmonologist and get your pft (spirometry) done.

Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra
MBBS MD DNB
Consultant Pulmonologist