Having shortness of breath, chest pain and large swelling under arm. What should be done?

since 10 days short of breath at the least exertion
have put on 1 1/2 stones in weight in 4 months
have large (apple size) soft, painless swelling under arm ( since 2 weeks)
hard long swelling above breastbone (one year)
weeing in the night (4 months)
do have chest pain which wakes me from sleeping
totally exhausted
Posted Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Considering your age, symptoms and the recent weight gain, I recommend a battery of diagnostic investigations to rule out conditions which are common in your age and present with above symptoms like Diabetes and Hypertension. The chances of such illnesses are more if you have any family history of the above conditions.

Do get your Blood pressure and other vital parameters checked by a medical professional.

Also you will need some tests as mentioned below:
1) Blood glucose levels -Both fasting and postprandial.
2) Electrocardiogram (ECG)
3) FNAC (Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology) of the swelling in your armpit and over the breast bone.

The above tests will provide detailed insights in to your condition and help to arrive at a diagnosis and to plan necessary management.

Above all weight reduction could be considered as essential part of the management.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any doubts/other concerns.