Having shooting pain in lower ribs. Achy and painful to touch. Ultrasound normal. Worrisome

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Over the last 2 weeks I have developed tenderness in both lower ribs (front) right and left side outer. Painful to touch and also achy with some shooting pains. Also some flank pains both sides and pain in middle and upper back and into my armpits area. Doesnt hurt to cough , breathe or twist and turn. I have not injured myself during this period. Had some pain in left rib 6 months ago had ultrasound all normal. Female age 45 sit at a desk all day.
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

The information you have provided is suggestive of non specific muscular pain or myalgia secondary to viral infection

Because it does not hurt to couch, breathe or twist and turn

Apart from it there is no history of injury and the ultrasound six months back was normal

I would suggest you go for a good anti inflammatory agent twice or thrice a day for five to seven days and apply ice pack to the affected area

Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Wishing you a healthy life ahead