Having sharp pain in heel indicating to urinate. Give the underlying cause and cure for it?

During the night I am awakened by a sharp pain in my heel which then indicates a need to urinate. this can happen several times a night. Why is this and can anything be done about it?
Posted Tue, 13 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to help you.

Based from your past medical history you have a neuropathy which is most likely be caused from prolonged diabetes.

Now let me explain you what a neuropathy means and what it does to function of brain.

Nerves are like current carrying wires which transfers the information back and forth from brain to the target organ. Now to avoid the passing of the information to adjacent nerve, each nerve is insulated by a structure called myelin sheath, this sheath gets blown of by excess of sugar in the blood for prolonged time. So it becomes like a electrical systems with naked wires, which fuse and may lead to short circuit. In the same sense the information of having you bladder full is send to the heel and you are feeling the pain at heel, as short circuit.

Here is what can be done.
1) avoid drinking liquid 3 hr before bed time that will reduce the urine production at night. Which in turn will help reducing the chances of having pain in heel.
2) Talk to you doctor about some pain relief if possible.

Hope I was able to answer your question satisfactorily, still in case of any concern feel free to contact me.

Follow-up: Having sharp pain in heel indicating to urinate. Give the underlying cause and cure for it? 23 hours later
I do not have Diabetes. My heel pains occurrences do not seem to relate to amounts of urine. I am careful not to drink before bedtime.
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later

Welcome back, the neuropathy is what I explained above, even if you do not have diabetes, their are many other causes that can lead to neuropathy, by mentioning diabetes, I mean to give an example (I am sorry I wasn't able to make my self clear in the first response) how it can be caused in one way. The other cause that can cause neuropathy are excessive alcohol consumption in young days / deficiency of Vitamin B12 in old day. All will act to remove insulation on nerves causing the short circuit as explained above.

Its good that you are careful about your liquid consumption at bed time. Let me know if it helps to reduce the incident of the pain in heel issue.

I did recommend you to request your physician to prescribe a bit stronger pain medication, which will help you to bare the pain. Their are other medication that may help in neuropathic pain but they have sever side effects and so I do not recommend you to opt for them.

Hope all works well, Keep in touch and update me with the progress. And let me know if any thing else I can help with.

Thanks again.