Having severe to mild headache. What am I suffering from?

Dear Doctor,

My wife, who is 26 years old, is having problem of headache. It happens around once in every two weeks and last for 2 to 3 days and it varies from severe to mild during that time.. It comes and goes by its own without any other symptoms. It happens on both sides at the corners of upper half of forehead. It is throbbing in nature. It is happening from last 2 year.

Please advice what type of problem is this and what should we do?

Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 28 hours later
Can you provide some more details.
Are there some precipitating factors like sleep deprivation, fasting, sunlight, travel, perfumes etc. Is it associated with nausea and vomiting. Is it relieved by sleep or analgesics? Is it associated with redness in eyes, lacrimation? Does she prefers to stay in dark and quiet ie is there intolerance to light and noise during these spells?
Is she depressed? how's her mood, sleep.
It seems it is most likely one of the primary headaches. Most likely vascular headache or tension type headache.

The above details will help to classify rule out other causes and then plan about treatment.

Best wishes
Dr. Neeraj Baheti
Follow-up: Having severe to mild headache. What am I suffering from? 1 hour later
Thanks Doctor XXXXXXX for your response,

There is abosuletely no other reason/symptoms like sleep disorder, fasting, sunlight, perfumes, red eyes, nausea, vomitting etc. Also she doesn't have any sort of tension or depression. Her mood and sleep is also good. She on average have 8 hours of sleep. Even during those spells, she remains calm and cool, it is just the head-ache which causes the panic.

Please let me know your advice.

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Baheti 10 hours later
No need to worry, it seems it is what we call as tension type headache. Just see your local neurologist/physician. He/She will start her on medications, do some basic tests and with that she should be fine.

Wishing good health