Having severe pain while swallowing and feeling tearing of throat. Looking for treatment

ENT Specialist
having severe pain when I swallow. been going on for over 24 hours. feels like I'm choking. it's like my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX is completely swollen and throat is very dry. like my XXXXXXX XXXXXXX could tear my throat.
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 41 minutes later

Thanks for the query

The sudden onset of throat pain could be due to various causes such as acute epiglottis (inflammation of the epiglottis), angioneurotic edema (edema of the lower respiratory tract), acid reflux disease, acute laryngitis, etc.

The most common cause for the sudden onset of the throat pain is laryngitis, i.e. infection of the lower respiratory tract and the voice box. The acute inflammation is always viral in origin and self-limiting.

My suggestion to you, is to drink plenty of warm water, do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day (this will help in relieving the congestion of the voice box) and take pain relievers such as Diclofenac or Ibuprofen. Continue with the medicines you are taking for hiatus hernia. Avoid smoking, chilled beverages, coffee and hard food for few days. Hope this should take care of your problems.

If the symptoms do not improve within a couple of days or worsens, please consult your doctor immediately.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon