Having severe pain on lower back. Ultrasound scanning showed a 5MM stone on left kidney. Clarify?

I got severe pain on lower left back on Friday and the Ultrasound scanning showed a 5MM stone on left kidney and two 4MM stones on right kidney. I have consulted a physician and he told that the urinary tube is 8-12MM diameter and this will be flushed out while urinating. I just need to drink more water.
However, my colleagues who had this issue earlier says that the tube is only 5MM and it is difficult for 5MM stone to get out. Could you please clarify this and advise what I should be doing.
Posted Tue, 11 Jun 2013 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 14 hours later

Your left side kidney stone is probably causing the pain. Stones upto 4mm size should pass down easily and come out. 4 to 8 mm stones take more time and may or may not come out. 8mm and above generally do not come out and need intervention. In your case this stone should come out by itself.

You can observe for 3 to 5 days. But if there is persistent pain, blood in the urine or fever with urine infection the stone should be removed immidiately.

Drinking 3 to 4 litre of water per day will definitely help.

You can pass the urine in a mug before you throw it, to see if a stone has come out.
Medication- under guidance of your doctor you may start tab. tamsulosin. and pain medicines.

the urine tube is a muscular strechable tube. it is not a fixed size tube.

Hope this answers all your queries.

best wishes.
Follow-up: Having severe pain on lower back. Ultrasound scanning showed a 5MM stone on left kidney. Clarify? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

Thank you. I forgot to mention that I do not have continuous pain. It happened only for 3 hours on Friday and went down after having a pain killer. I t hasn't happened again after that. Is there a chance for the stone to break smaller to less than 4mm by drinking water? Is there any medication for that?
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 4 hours later

The stone is not likely to break but there definitely is a good chance for it to come out, or it may already have come out. You have to repeat an ultrasound after 3 days.Medicines are only the ones i have mentioned previously.

bye for now,