Having severe pain and clogging in ear. Had pink purple discharge. Suggestions

ENT Specialist
Hello, I lived at an apartment complex where there was a high frequency of some sort that started irritating my ears a couple months ago. After being there for several months I started having severe pain and clogging in my right ear to the point that I could not even hear out of it and had a very bright pink purple discharge that I noticed. The doctor gave me antibiotics for an ear infection but after the course of the antibiotics I have worst pain now and it sounds like a broken speaker. Do you have any idea? Thanks for your help, it's pretty miserable.
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Since you have a recent onset history of Tinnitus, Hearing distortion and loss, pain, a bright pink ear discharge and clogging of only one ear, it is imperative to get a Pure Tone Audiometry (PTA) done.

2. If you can arrange to share the ear findings through endoscopic images or at least clinical examination notes or diagrams, it will be possible to get an exact diagnosis.

3. An HRCT (High Resolution CT) Scan with an MRI (3 Tesla) with contrast may help narrow down the possible causes. This is especially recommended if the current medication fails.

4. Is there any history of foul smelling ear discharge, fungal infection or granulation tissue on examination?

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.