Having severe neck pain and dizziness. Could this be a pinched nerve?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have severe kneck pain which radiates down my right arm all the way to my hand and forefinger. I also had a slight spell of dizziness which lasted only for a short period. could this dizziness be related and if so what course of action should I take.

I believe this could be a pinched nerve but the dizziness has me confused.

Thank you in advance for your help
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Neck pain and dizziness that you are having are suggestive of degenerative spondylotic changes of the cervical spine. Bony osteophytes pinches or irritates a nearby nerve known as radiculopathy (Radiation of pain down your arm) . Intermittent vertebral artery compression by cervical osteophytic spurs to be the cause of dizziness to occur.
X-ray of neck in lateral view or MRI will help in the diagnosis.
Treatment includes
1. Use of cervical collar for short time helps in immobilization and brings relief.
2. Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants might be helpful.
3. Cervical isometric exercises are beneficial to maintain the strength of the neck muscles. Neck and upper back stretching exercises, as well as light aerobic activities, also are recommended under the guidance of a physical therapist.
4. Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms.
5. You can avoid using a pillow.

I hope this answers your query. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.