Having severe hair loss. What is the solution and cure?

Excellent

Question
I have severe hair loss ,,,,,wats the solution to cure it
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

In females there are various reasons for hair loss. Common causes of hair loss in females are –iron deficiency, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problem, stress, lack of sleep, familial, or use of chemical on scalp, procedures like perming or straightening etc. Other rare causes are zinc & copper deficiency. One has to find the exact cause of hair loss and treat.

In females there are various patterns of hair loss, which can be judged clinically by a dermatologist.
There are certain tests which can help decide the cause. You can get your hormonal level checked along with an USG if necessary to rule out PCOD (hormonal cause of hair loss in females), this usually seen in obese patient with irregular periods. Serum iron level, hemoglobin, T3, T4, TSH etc. should also be carried out.

Other simple test which we do is hair pull test and trichogram to diagnose which type of hair loss is there.

General measures to take- improve your diet with leafy vegetables, fresh fruits, plenty of water, sprouts, pulses, high protein diet, avoid items with high sugar content like sweets & chocolates, less of Chinese foods, less of pizza & burgers, more of milk & ghee, dry fruits. Good sleep also has an important role to play.
After proper diagnosis one can start with topical preparations like Minoxidil 2%-5% applied twice daily on scalp along with tab biotin one daily other hormonal medicines are also available if needed. If baldness sets in, then one can go for hair transplantation also.

You please consult any good dermatologist, investigations to be done and drugs to be taken according to his advice.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer and please write a review.
Wish you good health.
Thanks,
Dr Sourav Ganguly

Follow-up: Having severe hair loss. What is the solution and cure? 2 days later
Thank you for your valuable answer i m very pleased with it .could you suggest some good shampoos , using conditioner is good or bad?

Hi XXXXXX,

About conditioner if it contains harmful chemicals, it will definitely do more damage than good. So, use conditioners that have natural ingredients.

Regarding shampoo also don’t use shampoo with chemical ingredients, use only those which have natural ingredient. As you have hair loss so fungal infection may be one cause so if you have dandruff then use a shampoo containing antifungal (like clotrimazole, miconazole etc). Nizoral is one such medicated shampoo which can be tried.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and please rate the answer and review it.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly