Having severe chest pain from back to jaw. Test result showed uncoordinated esophagus. Help?

Approx. 6 wk ago I awoke in the middle of the night with severe chest pain radiating to arms back and jaw. 60yo wf 185lb . Had cardiac XXXXXXX which was normal. Have long family history of CVD and MI. Cardiac XXXXXXX was normal. I continue to have these episodes at night or immediately after awakening. Had Barium swallow which showed "uncoordinated esophagus." Nitroglycerine SL helps. Why do these spasms happen only at night?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Esophageal Spasm

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
The pain that you are describing is typically of esophageal spasm. Basically it is disease of nerves supplying the esophagus which cause spasm cause of uncoordinated contractions.
At night the gastro-esophageal sphincter gets loose and this causes the acid in the stomach to get into the esophagus which induces contraction of esophagus muscles. Rising to this pain.
You have stated that you are already on nitroglycerine which reduces such spasms. Along with the you have to take an early dinner which has to be light accompanied with some post-dinner walk. Nifedipine, a calcium channel blocker, is implicated in such conditions.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.