Having severe chest pain, cough and feeling fatigued. What is the cause and cure?

painI've been having severe chest pain that radiates into my back with wheezing a dry cough and fatigue. It hurts really bad to breathe in XXXXXXX and ill just be sitting and out of no where I get this severe intense pain all through my chest around my sides and into my back. It lasts for a couple seconds but comes on suddenly within minutes. Its much better when I lay down but then the wheezing gets worse..what could it possibly be
Posted Sat, 15 Dec 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
From your description it seems that you are having a minor chest infection- most likely a viral pleuritis or bronchitis.
Most of the times these minor symptoms can be taken care of by steam inhalation and a healthy diet for 5-7 days. These are self limiting illnesses. In case there is progressive worsening of cough with fever, then systemic antibiotics and steroid inhaler with bronchodilators are needed to take care of the symptoms. You can get these prescribed from your physician after a physical examination.
Meanwhile you can follow the following remedies:
1. Stay hydrated. Fluids can help reduce the dryness of the airway and help symptoms
2. Gargling with hot saltwater can help cleanse the throat.
3. Elevate your head with pillows at night to ease a dry cough.
4. Do not smoke or use tobacco product.
5. Avoid inhaling irritants such as smoke, dust, or other pollutants.
6. Ginger and balsam (tulsi) used in tea, also helps.
7. Avoid hot and spicy foods

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Having severe chest pain, cough and feeling fatigued. What is the cause and cure? 5 hours later
Thank you so much will be making a doctors appointment today.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thank you.
I am glad I could help.
You can consult me again directly through my profile URL
Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.
I wish you the very best in whatever you do.
Warm regards