Having severe bilateral wrist pain. Any solution?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My son is having pain bilateral wrist. He says he feels like the veins hurt and if he doesn't contract them they will "just explode" in his words. Any ideas? This has been going on for maybe a month
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
There can be several reasons for pain in both the wrists- These include carpal tunnel syndrome, gout, arthritis, tendonitis, sprain or bursitis. If he did not have any injury while playing or otherwise, I suppose its something to do with the tendons or ligaments rather than bones. Most common reason is a mild sprain that he must have sustained somehow.
He needs to give it some rest for a while, use hot fomentation twice a day and local ointment for pain relief. Avoid gripping and lifting objects altogether. Keep it in most comfortable position or use a splint/crepe bandage most of the time (including at night) for best results. Watch for worsening of symptoms like increase in pain, appearance of swelling and tingling numbness in fingers. If he gets any of these, visit your physician and get a check up done followed by investigations like X XXXXXXX or MRI.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Having severe bilateral wrist pain. Any solution? 19 hours later
I'm concerned the abnormal flexing maybe more when he flexes he pulls his arms to his chest and then sweeps them down his chest. It reminds me of something autism or a neurological disorder?

In the past he has had a blinking disorder, we figured was a mild form of turrets but this seems much worse, and seems to be increasing instead of decreasing?

Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since your son is complaining of severe pain, a neurological disorder is less likely. A ligament or tendon pain or a nerve compression is more likely. A direct examination is an integral part of diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.